Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Invitation to John Robbie to assist taxi industry:
Cedric Offline
Administrator

Invitation to John Robbie to assist taxi industry:
Dear John,

Taxi Industry refusal to accept SMART CARDS:

As the Economic Freedom Charter, on a mission to close the divide between the Capitalist Supplementary Economy, the local taxi industry is one of the sectors that participate in the movement.

Having listened to you and your listeners, regularly bemoan the taxi industry for refusing to accept the Smart-Card system, I addressed this issue with representatives of the taxi industry.
They claim that they have never been approached, where necessary they pay their taxes, and then, unlike you who have the protection of a voice on the radio, I was asked a number of questions:

1: Who will collect the money, and where will their commuters need to load their cards?

2: Who will administer the data collected on a specific taxi drivers vehicle, and transfer the money due to the taxi driver?

3: How will this money be transferred and how soon after the service is provided?

This discussion went on for hours, and I am afraid I could not provide any answers that met the situation on the ground.

Issues:

Commuters:

Many commuters never pass through a terminal area where, unlike the Gautrain you can provide a collection point.
Would they need to make special arrangements, at their cost to get to a pay-point?
Many commuters in this supplementary economy are earning their income on a daily basis and virtually paying for their transport out of the income. Would the Smart-Card allow them to pay on a daily basis, and how?

Administration:
Who will administer, and at what cost?
What will the impact of the cost be to the commuter?

Taxi Operator:
Presently a taxi driver may pay the owner out of the days income, how will this be managed?
Presently the taxi driver, living from hand to mouth, will fill the vehicle out of the days income, what provisions has been made.

I would really appreciate it if you could direct me to some document or forum that will help me answer these questions.

Kind regards.

Cedric de la Harpe

12-14-2012 07:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user