Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Motivation to prepare this proposal: Read as part 1:
Cedric Offline
Administrator

Motivation to prepare this proposal: Read as part 1:

Note: All comment in this category is Cedric de la Harpe's, any person who wishes to challenge or support can identify themselves in a reply:

The Economic Freedom Charter movement has highlighted the ever increasing differences between the rich and poor in South Africa and looks at possible solutions:

On the 3rd December 2012. the Minister of Education announces the results of the 2012 Annual National Assessments (ANA). I read the media release, and within the introduction part of the statement, we have the typical Politically Correct appeasement of all people in South Africa that we can celebrate our achievements and consolidate our advances:

Statement on the Release of Annual National Assessments Results for 2012 by Mrs Angie Motshekga, Minister of Basic Education, Ipontshe Primary School, Tembisa, December 3 2012

“Celebrating our achievements, consolidating our advances"
A warm welcome to the education-loving people of Tembisa, Ekurhuleni, Gauteng and democratic South Africa.
We thank all of you for making possible, with your participation, this announcement of results of the 2012 Annual National Assessments (ANA).
Improving the quality of education is perhaps the most important development task confronting our nation. High-quality education, equally distributed, is one of the most effective and least conflictive ways of transforming a society.
Remarkable advances have been made in access and equity in the schooling system since the 1994 democratic breakthrough. Net enrollment rates have improved. Funding per learner has increased. The schooling system is more equitable.

As a white South African I celebrate the fact that the Minister wishes me to celebrate, but as a committed, involved South African, involved in Township and Rural communities around the country, I am unable to celebrate, I have grand-children in the system, and my friends have grand-children and children in the system.

In Grade 6 Mathematics, the average performance is 27% as compared to 30% in 2011. Provincial performance ranges between 21% and 33%. I guess this is also understandable noting that improvements in mathematical skills require the acquisition of conceptual skills first for learners to make the necessary progress.

In Grade 9 Mathematics, the average performance is 13%. Provincial performance ranges between 9% and 17%.
These results explain to a very large extent why among many other reasons, we have such high failure and dropout rates at Grades 10 and 11.

Our focus is to create employment, to develop Entrepreneurs, but we will never close the gap between the rich and the poor, if we do not fix the Education system. No longer can we talk Economic Freedom if we do not first concentrate our efforts on Education.

This submission is not intended to attack the politically correct norms, rather, to create a debate around what open minds could achieve.
Cedric de la Harpe:

Read part 2:

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 08:57 AM by Cedric.)
12-10-2012 08:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user