Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Foreign National Impact:
Cedric Offline
Administrator

Foreign National Impact:
Personally I have support for any African to have access to live and work in South Africa. I have no problem with them entering the country and that they be given work-permits, permitted to have bank accounts, and required to pay all taxes.
Where do we draw the line when it comes to other non-African nationalities?

For the purpose of this discussion I will address the Pakistan Foreign Nationals, Bangladeshi Foreign Nationals and the Somalie Foreign Nationals only, once my questions have been debated and satisfactorily answered, then I will either remove it from my personal discussions on the Economic Freedom Charter, or I will extend the discussion to other Foreign National groups.

South Africa’s poverty levels are reaching the status where the level on anger and animosity is bubbling. One of the areas that we have identified as a problem area, is the local black economy that has been diverted into the Pakistan/Bangladeshi/Somalie Community. We interact with many village communities, and no matter where we visit, you will find a large portion of the community’s shopping outlets are in the hands of the these families.

Nearly everything that I have purchased in the Seselamani area during the past two years, I have bought from the Pakistani family.

If I am correct that this situation exists in many of our rural areas, then as a South African, I ask:
1: What is the legal status of the businesses and the owners of individual businesses?
2: Does the business/owner have legal status to use our banking services under FICA, and do they trade accordingly?
3: Does SARS have these owners/businesses in their registered tax-payer data base?
4: Where are the profits of these businesses going?

Why do I ask these questions:

My observations see that this group of Foreign Nationals are mainly male, I have not been exposed to any female in the family.

My observations reflect that there are levels of business skills, when a business is taken over, you will find the more skilled businessman in control of the business. After a number of months, this person leaves for a break and the assistant / driver soon is the new man in charge.

Recently we had an opportunity to talk socially to a ‘son’ of the family, he calls it the family business but when pushed for the rest of the family he is evasive. He was moved from Graskop where he was very happy, and although not happy now, he accepts his posting to this position as it required his ‘till and selling’ skills. The same young man claims to be of Indian origin and gives a location in India, and when talking cricket, to our comment, “Tandulka is the best in the world”, his reply was, “He is good, but Afridi is better”.

This group pays inflated rentals and though this process secures the business opportunity.

There was a time when most of what the migrant labour father sent home, remained in his Village, today we see very little sign of the money flow into the Village community.

Am I wrong?
If not, how do we achieve economic freedom for our South African people?
What do we do as a country contribute to the re-habilitation of the small business sector in our local communities?

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 06:08 PM by Cedric.)
10-31-2012 06:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user