Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Plant a Door size vegetable garden.
Cedric Offline
Administrator

Plant a Door size vegetable garden.
Plant a Door:

On the 15th August 2008, my wife Nettie and I were very excited, we had just planted our first 30 Door Size vegetable gardens in the RDP houses in Kliptown.

With the ten youngsters that were assisting us, the excitement in the community, we were trapped into working for 18 hours per day to provide for the 600 gardens that we eventually planted by December 2008.

Having achieved this great task, why have we not celebrated the achievement?

We had failed, failed to understand that the process of planting of vegetables does not transfer skills to the person, rather, if you do not have the social skills, attitude, responsibility, communication, your vegetable plants will not produce.

As a country, we need to find mentors in the communities to help develop sustainable urban vegetable production.

This is an invitation to mentors who have an interest in food security, to help transfer the social skills while we develop food security,

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Cell: 082 565 2520

The ‘Plant a Door’ vegetable project, planted their first spring vegetable gardens in the Soweto home gardens.

Gauteng, Friday 15th August, 2008. - Thanks to the generous partnership donations from the public, following the very successful launch of the ‘Plant a Door’ project at Garden World’s Spring Festival, (running till the 31st August), the first thirty vegetable gardens were planted in the Soweto homes today.

The 2010 Sports Challenge Foundation’s main focus is the development of the life-skills of our Township youth, while empowering them through the participation as Extension Officers, who will be guiding and supporting the communities through the process of planting vegetables on a door size piece of ground. The R50 donation’s received from members of the public contributes towards; the seeds, the organic compost and the organic fertilizers, as well as R15 per door towards the employment of the Extension Officer.

In order to give ownership to the community, the families all contribute R 10 per door towards a Stokvel / Club Account, in order to build a savings account for sustainability and future requirements.

Following a long exhausting day, I can only comment as follows: “The youth were blown away by today’s experience. They could not believe the appreciation that the community was showing towards them for their input, passion and knowledge. I felt like a ‘smous’ of old, loaded to the hilt with seed, compost and fertilizer, stopping outside the customer, children milling close by. Consulting for the ill, via my cell to the Sangoma, undertaking to source mielie seeds, onion seeds, tomato seeds, bean seeds, and a host of other requests.”

Sustainability and the desire to provide a sustainable project, was always part of the Foundations focus, but today we understood the community’s perception of what we term as sustainability.
“What guarantee do you offer us?”
I had read the seed company’s guarantee terminology and I was prepared for this question, hopefully one day further down the line, but looking into his eyes I understood the guarantee that was required in this community.

“Our guarantee to you is that we will provide you with product and support for the full year. Your extension officers will only receive the income as and when your next crop is established. That is our guarantee pledge to you.”

The embrace we received for the spokesperson; and the news that spread throughout the neighbourhood that this product had a satisfactory guarantee, and was worth investing in, opened new doors that will plant every door that we can contribute to.

The highlight of the afternoon for all of us, was when the five extension officers involved, established a partnership, having appreciated each others specific skills, strengths and weaknesses, availability and other factors, the Pimville extension officers are now in business.

Pimville Zone 9, Garden World exhibit.

As part of the world’s need to develop ‘food security’, the Plant a Door project aims to plant 100 000 doors in the Townships during the next 18 months, ensuring sustainability through the success and the dependency on the crops. In addition to all the benefits that the world will receive by our contribution towards reducing our carbon foot-print, our communities will greatly benefit from the increased nutrients that they will be consuming.

Interested donor/partners, and just ordinary suburban vegetable growers, are invited to visit us in our ‘Soweto Backyard an Exhibition, at Garden World’s Spring Festival in Muldersdrift, Gauteng or on http://www.sa-legacy.co.za.

For further information, contact Cedric de la Harpe at 082 565 2520.

Directors: C de la Harpe (Man); J de la Harpe; D Mabona; E Mafokate; R Madua; P Mokoena-Harvey; M Nguni; D Nkosi; (Chair)

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2012 12:40 PM by Cedric.)
10-30-2012 12:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user