Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Perceived 'white hate'
Cedric Offline
Administrator

Perceived 'white hate'
Introduction:

On Valentine’s Day 2008 I was first introduced to Township Youth who, when faced with a challenges, will move directly into the ‘fight-zone’.
Fortunately those who can’t control their anger are aware of it, so they avoid conflict.
Since this day, I have dedicated my time to finding the reason for what we observed, and finding a solution.
I failed to get any support for our various initiatives, and in July 2011 I published a book, “If you don’t like it here, Leave” talking about the problems in our country, and warning of the bubbling animosity that threatened to explode.

Today, following Marikana, the Truck Drivers Strike, other violent protests, the political conflict where many are dying, the mob-justice and necklacing that has taken place over the past six months, I believe there is substance in the issues that i have identified over the past five years.

Extract - Chapters 2, of the manuscript, “If you don’t like it here, Leave”

Perceived ‘white hate’

Why bring the perceived ‘white hate’ into the reason for my wife and I accepting the Minister’s invitation, when we are obviously happy in the ‘black cage’? It is June 2011 in South Africa, we are hear the warnings of an explosion, or the implosion, that is due to hit our country. Depending on your seat in the simulator, you will be taking a different approach to the warnings you are hearing. Most of us do not believe that there is any animosity towards the whites; I would have believed that in 2009. Many of us see the rumblings, but they will consider the Libya conflict as the spiritual forces moving through Africa and rectifying all the evils. My conservative Afrikaans friends are keeping an eye on the  prophesy of Siener van Rensburg, and depending on who is analyzing his work, they will see that he is warning that the present Government is in the process of disintegrating from the top down, and/or, from the inside out. Others are of the opinion that we can blame the ANC leaders for their failure to create employment, and the poverty that will result in the inevitable conflict that we will feel before 2020.
All these differing beliefs have their part in the turmoil that is approaching, and most, no matter what their position, will all be in to say, “I told you so”, unless you are one of the few who do not see the threat that we are being warned about.
Our experience during the past seven years, while closely linked to the ‘black cage’, has identified a number of forces that influence the behaviour of the poverty masses, and we believe they contribute towards behaviour that is unique to South Africa. There are poverty levels greater than what we have in South Africa in other parts of the world, but South Africa has a unique history, which has motivating factors that will influence the levels of ‘explosion’, and the areas where the explosion will be felt at its greatest.
My focus is on the areas that are unique to South Africa, areas that we all, black and white, can address together and diffuse the ‘ticking time-bomb’, a time-bomb that has a time mechanism showing 2020 on the dial, but having auxiliary trigger mechanisms that could result in the explosion during 2014, if we do not start to deactivate the mechanism within the next two years.
During the first three years in the ‘black cage’ my wife and I felt only love and warmth, and received respect that we did not expect. It took nearly three years of daily interaction in the ‘black cage’ before I could see through the mindset that restricted my vision. More and more we became convinced that no white hate existed and that hate was not involved in the farm attacks and other violent crimes which hurt the whites.
I would always make the comment that the white person who died must have treated the blacks involved with extreme oppressive and abusive manners, in order to trigger such a violent response, almost always ending in death through mutilation. How often did I not make this comment in the presence of a friend, family member or an acquaintance, who had suffered a loss, and then I received their wrath that I so richly deserved.
In these first three years, my white mind-set in the ‘black cage’, saw only the things that I was programmed to see, still influenced by the Rainbow Nation simulator, that still controlled our thinking.
Yes, we were very aware that the Township children were not holistically developed, and we attributed it to the lack of sport and recreation, most people would not believe it, but no structured soccer is played in the Townships schools. We believed that the ‘white failure’ was responsible for this situation so we kept this subject at a very low profile.
Then, when our eyes were opened to the fact that soccer and recreation was strong at some stage in the Township, we founded the 2010 Sports Challenge Foundation aimed at re-habilitating soccer in the Township schools, in the lead-up to the SWC. We failed to get any soccer started, and during the many meetings we held, the closest we got to the game was, “Who is you sponsor, and how much was the prize money?” It was a pay to play situation, at that stage we did not understand the origins of the problem. What we did learn was that all soccer, other sport and recreation, was previously arranged by the white city council, and it all disappeared in the mid-1980’s, but very little else was spoken about.
As an option we introduced ‘Touch-Rugby‘, absolute magic on the practice fields, till our first tournament, and as we were playing mixed gender teams, we selected Valentine’s Day 2008 for our initial tournament. This became a day that is imprinted in our diary of dates and events that have impacted on our lives.
Ten teams, mixed gender, 150 children, 50 spectators, a day the community will always remember. A day my wife and I will always remember. Within one minute of the kick-off, it started to develop into a war-zone. First the referee, then the linesman, then the coach, the opposition, touch became slap, and even their own team members were in conflict. Nettie and I spent the entire afternoon running around keeping the peace. This continued from 12:30 to 17:30 and after the prize giving. These were not the children that we had worked with for the past eight weeks, what happened to those children?
It was a Thursday afternoon, for the first time we were taking a break from the Township, we called a meeting of the Foundations board; we were shocked and confused. Auntie Patricia could not understand why I was so affected, “Chair, I am surprised at your attitude, I thought you were a Township boy, and yet you do not understand ‘Township Culture’.”
What we had discovered was that the children did not have the ability to process a challenge and to make the decision best suited to themselves and the community around them. When challenged they were unable to reason and moved directly from their ‘COMFORT ZONE’ into their ‘FIGHT ZONE’; it was frightening.
I ‘Googled’ the web for answers; and we switched from ‘Touch-Rugby’ to planting vegetables. “Plant-a-Door”, we taught the children to plant vegetables and supervise the planting in the community. We planted 600 gardens and we do not celebrate our achievements in the gardens, rather our understanding of the need to help with the transfer of skills that would make initiatives sustainable in the community.
During the ‘Google’ search we found a curriculum, “Tackling the Tough Skills” from the University of Missouri. This curriculum had identified the lack of ‘Tough Skills’ in the poverty community and that the lack of these skills condemned the people to poverty.
Based on the results achieved with this curriculum, we believed that no harm would be done by introducing it, little did we realize to what extent it would contribute towards us learning from the participants just how great our communities’ needs are.
The subject content of the curriculum covered: ATTITUDE; RESPONSIBILITY; COMMUNICATION; DECISION MAKING & PROBLEM SOLVING. We commenced giving the youth workshops as soon as the curriculum arrived and we were learning every day.
The first topic in the curriculum is ATTITUDE, and yes, I have a weakness in that I do not talk an indigenous language, but part way through this section I realized that the group were not following me. I asked them to translate ‘behaviour’ into their indigenous language, they could all do it, five different language groups; then I asked them to translate ‘attitude’, and silence, they all stared straight ahead, not looking at me, then they would talk to one another in their language, and soon the bravest would say’ “Hey Mahlungu, do you not know that behaviour and attitude are the same in our language and culture.” It happened on all eight the workshops we conducted; the first time, I phoned all my contacts; the young, 35 and down, all did not know a word for attitude; I needed to go to the 45 plus group to find that they all had a concept of attitude.
Through the content of the curriculum we clearly link the lack of understanding of the Positive and Negative attitude, to the level of the ‘lack of self-respect’, and in turn we can link the lack of self-respect to the level of violent crime, the corruption, and the difficulty in controlling the spread of HIV/AIDS.
Without the concept of ATTITUDE, and without self-respect, RESPONSIBILITY is impossible.
COMMUNICATION is not just talking; a large majority of the youth we work with find comprehension of the English written word very difficult, if not impossible. Body language skills are very poor, listening exceptionally poor, and anger management nonexistent. This group avoids CONFLICT, because of their inability to manage their anger.
In this area of lack of anger management, and the avoidance of conflict lies the base of where the movement from COMFORT ZONE to the FIGHT ZONE takes place, when this happens, reasoning has not taken place, and the only option is anger.
Due to the inability to reason and resolve conflict, the avoidance of conflict, DECISION MAKING and PROBLEM SOLVING is almost impossible. And for those who have these shackled-life-skills, they are dysfunctional, even a graduate sitting around the Board-Room table, is dysfunctional without these ‘tough skills’.
As we progressed we would find a very small percentage of the children in the group who has a concept of attitude, self-respect, and responsibility. These children stood out in the class, and we were attracted to finding out more about these children’s heritage. The one thing that stood out in each one of these children was that their parents were not part of what we knew as the ‘Lost Invisible Generation’. The generation of children who were involved in the conflict with the Security Forces during the period 1984 to 1994, many not completing their schooling.
I interacted with every one of my contacts, aged 36 to 40 at that stage, who had impressed me with their responsibility, self-respect and communication abilities, and everyone of them, had been sent to a boarding school outside the Township during that period.
The younger group’s parents were either not in the Township during that period or their parents already were adults during the conflict period, or they did not know their parents and were brought up by the grand-parents.
During April 2009, during our eighth workshop on these life-skills, a young girl says, “Sir, it is easy for you to talk, but you do not know what it is like to come home to a father who behaves like this ... a mother who behaves like this ... a sister who behave like this ... a brother like this ...?” We spoke for an hour; sixty children in the class, and you would have believed that all belonged to one family, the father behaving in a habitually aggressive manner, the mother aggressively does not care, the sister; the brother; all as if they were from one family.
We decide to switch our focus onto the elder brothers and sisters, the un-employed youth, 18 to 26, and approach a good friend and community leader, Isaac Galele for assistance. We advertise extensively for three weeks, inviting them to a meeting. On the day of the meeting I am very aware of small groups of youth watching our facility very carefully, but not one comes closer to us. Two weeks later we try again, with the same result.
Then, early July, I am reporting to friend Isaac on my visit to the AWB leader, the late Eugene Terre Blanche, when a young lady approaches us and introduces herself as Isaac’s grand-daughter. After a brief discussion in which she requested my assistance, I offer her assistance, but wish her assistance in exchange.
“I will help you, but I would first like you to help me arrange a meeting with the youth in your area, 18 to 26, unemployed, maybe thirty of them.”
“Cedric, we know you want to talk to us, but they will not come”
“Why not?”
“They do not want to listen to a Mahlungu.”
“Please, ask them to just give me ten minutes, if they then want to leave I will understand.”
“But they will not come.”
“Why not?”
“Cedric, don’t you know, all black youth hate whites.”
I think Isaac took it far worse than I did, how could his grand-daughter say that to his Mahlungu friend.
What flashed through my mind was those aggressive eyes that peered at me whenever I drove through the Township, those aggressive eyes on the school grounds, hiding no animosity. Yet it was animosity that would disappear as soon as I approached the person.
At this stage I did not fully understand it, but as I Googled ‘white hate’, and I started take note of the farm murders, and the inevitable mutilation of the bodies, I started to understand, but this was only a start.

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2012 11:27 AM by Cedric.)
10-30-2012 11:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user