Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is Reconciliation Possible???
Cedric Offline
Administrator

Is Reconciliation Possible???
For years, since 2007, I have driven the need for Social Cohesion through Reconciliation, extending into the need that a “Washing of Spears’ process is required.

This crazy thought was driven by my belief that the Poverty will Rise up against the Wealthy in the not very distant future, 2020 to be exact.

I foolishly believed that I was able to alert the country to the fact that we could develop Social Cohesion, which would, through Reconciliation and the Rehabilitation that would follow, avert any potential of a Revolution by the Poverty against the Wealthy.

As part of this process, I was encouraged to select Reconciliation Day, 16th December, as the date necessary to start the ‘washing of spears’ process, and the Battle of Blood River, 1838, the reason for why I had celebrated on 65 occasions, became my focal date and area.

For years I have blogged, and for year I have spoken, with very little comment on any topics. This month I receive comment, initially some very aggressive comments, but as we find common ground, or rather, as I find understanding of keeps us together, and what separates us, I realize that the decision to use the 16th December as Reconciliation Day was a poor Parliamentary decision.

A completely different date should have been selected to avoid the isolation of one conflict between two groups, in a country consisting of many different groups.

When a major conflict takes place, maybe the ‘peace agreement’ that results in the cessation of the armed struggle, is the Reconciliation Process.

Surely we should be responding to the need for Reconciliation around Massacres that took place during conflicts. Here, the massacre of Piet Retief and his group, the Sharpville Massacres, and a number of ‘black on black’ attacks during the period 1989 to 1994.

Yes, South Africa is credited and celebrated for the TRC hearings, and many of us accepted this process as having satisfied all those who suffered, me included, no, I did not suffer, but I was satisfied that we has reconciled. But, a large majority of our people suffered and did not feel the results on the TRC hearings.

When you hear a ‘born-free’ stand up in public and say, “Nothing has changed in our country,” what do we hear?

An ill-informed youth who does not know what things were like in South Africa pre-1994, or, a youth living in the Township or Rural areas, looking at the suburbs where the mainly white youth have everything that the black youth can’t have, looking at his home area, and seeing continued deterioration as he/she reaches adulthood.

Today I am at the crossroads in my life, for the second time, for six years I promote Reconciliation to avoid a Revolution, and today, I see Reconciliation impossible, or even unnecessary.

Reconciliation or Revolution??

It is time for us to talk.

Cedric de la Harpe
cedric@sa-legacy.co.za

01-04-2014 02:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user