• 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Preamble to the Economic Freedom Charter
Cedric Offline
Administrator

The Preamble to the Economic Freedom Charter
Mapped by: Cedric de la Harpe. Cedric@sa-legacy.co.za 082 565 2520
Date: 1 August 2006, Latest Revision Date: 31 October 2012

Economic Freedom Charter:

The Economic Freedom Charter requires a brief preamble that will set the thinking behind a very long and complex document.

Eighteen years into our New Democracy and our country is experiencing escalating protests and violence.

I believe this is directly related to the temporary peace that our 1994 Democratic Elections brought to us, a peace that we as a nation did not take forward through integration and rehabilitation. We all accepted the TRC as having satisfied the reconciliation process, giving no thought to the damage done to the people at ground-level.

South Africa is unique for the damage done to our communities, particularly during the period 1981 to 1994, some of our greatest abuse and atrocities took place during this period, schools were closed, people necklaced, boycotts and crime became part of our lives. The children, often referred to the ‘lost generation’ were then faced with the black on black violence during the early 1990’s as various interest groups manipulted the negotiations.

On both sides of the conflict, people were fighting for freedom, and an integral part of this freedom, is the ability to achieve economic freedom.

We came off a period of great conflcit in 1994, with no healing, no rehabilitation, and no reparations taking place.

As part of the 1994 ‘peace-plan‘ the ANC accepted the elite business community’s need to show the world a unified approach to how South Africa protected the wealth and assets of the business community. It may have been necessary in 1994, but we should have understood that the protection through restrictions to participate, should have been removed. Today the system’s attack and the confiscation of goods from the Informal Traders, the Spaza Shop, the Shebeen Owners, is seen as nothing more than ‘armed robbery‘ and although the Municipal Police are in the front-line, the actions are linked directly to the white and elite black economy.

The Lost Generation are 38 to 44 years-old today, they are unable to manage their anger, moving from their comfort-zone to the fight-zone with often fatal results. Today, when protesting and confronted with armed police, they still see the police as the ama-boere, and the police, many of them part of this Lost Generation, react accordingly with great aggression and anger.

The children and grand-children have the same shackled-skills that their parents have, you are only what your parents give you, all the good and all the bad.

in 1992, in exchange for putting their weapons and aggression down, our leaders made promises to the poverty groups, today these promises have filtered into the youth groups, as we observe housing and service delivery process, it is obvious that these promises have not yet been met.

As a society we do not appreciate to what extend the people believe that the Government own everything. It is almost as if the Government can transfer wealth directly to them, and when in conflict, the damage done to property, it is almost as if the people are damaging their own, through the Government linked ownership. The ANC through the Government own all the public holidays, as an individual or group, no-one would dare arrange a celebration if it was not announced bt the Government.

As a country, we can create social cohesion, we can achieve a reduced violent crime rate, we will achive a reduction in farm murders, all we need to do is join hands and give economic freedom to the people.

Our poverty groups, if given the opportunity to trade without restrictions, will soon commit themselves to “making not taking” as they find ownership and space to achieve their ‘space’ in our New Democracy.

Over the past two years, politicians and academics have warned South Africans of the threat that poverty will rise up against the wealthy. This situation is occuring sooner than many would have anticipated, mainly as a result of the failure to meet promises to the 1984 to 1994 struggle youth, including many linked to the structured struggle forces, who are now reaching the level where they no longer have the time left to wait.

Through the control mechanisms, the restrictions imposed on the black communities, the impact of the Police State attitude, from the forces who did the pre-sunrise control checks on the families, the security police atrocities, the isolation, the lack of education, South Africa created an abnormal society. Anything, human, or animal, or plant, that is manipulated and controlled to become abnormal, requires the same force that created the abnormality, to guide and manage the restoration of the human, or animal or plant, back to normality.

My wife an I have been involved in the Township and Rural Villages since 2004, as we have identified the impact of our historical control, abuse, and dehumanization of our black communities, we have addressed our many submissions and initiatives towards the white community, attempting to alert them to the need, for all us us to move towards the black communities to help rehabilitate the damage done to our people.

The responses I get from the white community is mainly;
“I am not guilty”.
“You will get more support if you did not play the ‘guilt card’.”
“My father work for, and paid for everything that we own.”
“They are lazy, they do not want to work, they want everything for nothing, we gave them everything...”

Today as we search for economic freedom and social cohesion in a country that is wracked by conflict, we approach the majoirty of the previously disadvantaged community to participate in the Economic Freedom Charter, opening the doors for all to communicate about our heritage and our future South African legacy.

As South Africans we need to take a moment to divorce ourselves of all the preconceived opinions, we need to extend our hands to each other, and refrain from pointing fingers unless essential.

I define the adjective ‘preconceived’ - and the noun ‘opinion’ - as follows:

preconceived: adjective (of an idea or opinion) formed before having the evidence for its truth or usefulness : the same set of facts can be tailored to fit any preconceived belief.

opinion: noun a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge :

I am aware of the often quoted opinion as follows:
“The whites stole everything from us.”

All these opinions have a certain amount of accuracy, accuracy to the level of fact or knowledge that you have given consideration to, and these facts, can all be tailored to fit any preconceived belief.

We need to divorce oursleves from all preconceived opinions, open our minds, get out of our comfort zone, so that we can find answers to our Economic Freedom, use this Charter as a tool to open discussions on the way forward, and once we have started discsuuions, we will find a country where social cohesion is real, and that will let us take the legacy that our fathers left us, all the good and bad, into a South African legacy, that we will be proud to leave to our children.

In 1994 we were faced with two roads that diverged in our country, we looked down the one as far as we could, to where it bent in the undergrowth, then we turned away from the one less traveled, and continued to look at it from a distance, the time has now come for us to take the road less traveled.

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN --
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

If you are white and feel I play the ‘guilt card’, please stay with me and provide constructive criticism, if you are black and feel that I am hurting your dignity, please stay with me and provide constructive assistance.

Cedric de la Harpe;

Note: In the main document, aspects are linked to comment documents, click to link, and at the end of that comment you can click on return at the bottom of page, and return to executive summary:

facebook.com/economic.freedom.charter http://economic-freedom-charter.co.za http://www.sa-legacy.co.za

Where computer links are not available, use fax; 086 293 3648, or P.O. Box 842 Auckland Park 2006

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 11:43 AM by Cedric.)
10-30-2012 05:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user